Shared houses – one contract or several? | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenancy agreements 

start a new discussion

Shared houses - one contract or several?

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
1082 views 2 replies latest reply: 21 January 2014

Hi, I live in a shared house, with one tenancy agreement for the property, rather than individual contracts. (An assured shorthold tenancy, rather than a house of multiple occupancy, which I think has something to do with whether the bedroom doors have locks or not.)

I’m moving out, but my two housemates are staying. They’ve been here since Feb 2011, I moved in in Sept 2011. To avoid fees, I’ve waited until the end of our fixed tenancy agreement. Someone is moving in to replace me.

Our letting agent are charging renewal fees (a flat rate of £138 for the property), but the remaining housemates would like to stay on with a statutory periodof tenancy. This is complicated by the new person moving in.

It seems to me, it should either be: new person = new contract and therefore no renewal fees, or old contract is renewed, so a periodic tenancy is possible.

Can anyone advise? I love this site, but it could do with more info for housesharers.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


There are many ways of going about this and the route will depend on what the agent/landlord is most comfortable with. As the tenancy is coming to the end of the fixed term, i would advise my landlords to issue renew with a new fixed term contract and reference the incoming tenant only. i would request the outgoing tenant arrange to receive her deposit from the incoming tenant, an addendum place on the original inventory saying the incoming tenant accepts the report. We would alter the names with the TDS. i am a central London agent and the renewal fee we charge is £80 plus VAT. i hope this helps— Julian Lewis–Williams Lewis & Co Ltd


It doesn’t have to be a fixed term, the agents cd just add the new person to a rolling periodic contract, but this way they get to charge twice right; a fee for renewal of another fixed term, and a fee for changing names I imagine. But you cannot be forced to sign for a fixed term. Just insist that you are changing names on the existing contract and that is all. They might get nasty tho. Are they members of TPOS? You cd always report them if they do. ARLA are rubbish, frankly.

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply