Should my deposit be protected? \”License to occupy\” | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Deposits 

start a new discussion

Should my deposit be protected? "License to occupy"

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
1219 views 1 replies latest reply: 20 September 2015

Hi all,

I’m a student, very new to renting privately. I’m renting a room in a 5 bedroom flat with my boyfriend. I thought we had signed an Assured shorthold tenancy so I’ve been seeking advice for that, but I’ve just perhaps realised we’ve signed a very different agreement a “license to occupy”. What does this mean to me living in this flat? 

Is the agency that we’ve rented through required to protect our deposit? What are our rights as tenants for the flat?

Is this a normal thing for landlords to use ?

Can we request to have an Assured shorthold tenancy if we should have one?

Any info at all relating to our situation is greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks,


Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Rebecca

Tenancies are more common but a licence to occupy is also sometimes used for a house of multiple occupation. Essentially, this gives you less rights than a tenant – for example, you can be asked to leave on just 4 weeks notice. As far as I know, this won’t create an obligation for the landlord to protect the deposit (so the agent won’t be obliged to do it on their behalf). There’s some more info here.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply