spliting up from partner | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

start a new discussion

spliting up from partner

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
639 views 1 replies latest reply: 10 May 2014

if im spliting up from my wife and we have a joint tenancy will i have to get my name off it in order for me to find a place of my own

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Christopher,

If the tenancy agreement is in both of your names, you’re both responsible for paying the full rent each month, so it’s best if you can agree what happens between you.

If you plan to move out, contact the landlord to see whether you can take your name off the tenancy, otherwise you would still be responsible for paying the rent. The landlord will probably want to know that the remaining partner can cover the rent in full before they will agree to this.


The above represents my own opinion, derived from personal knowledge and should not be relied upon as definitive or accurate advice. It is offered free of charge and may contain errors or omissions or be an inaccurate opinion of the law. I accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of relying on the above.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply