subletting with permission and benefits. | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Lodgers 

start a new discussion

subletting with permission and benefits.

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
691 views 1 replies latest reply: 19 July 2015

I’m going to be renting a 2 bedroom house, the landlord will actually be my dad and he said I will be fine to share it with someone else.

I have someone in mind but they are currently unemployed. Will I be OK to sublet the spare room to someone even if they are receiving benefits? And Would I need to register for this.
What kind of agreement would they need. Would it have to be from me (as it would be me they pay to rent out) or would I need something from my landlord (dad)

Also I will be providing a furnished room as well as internet and include cleaning/washing etc.
Can I add this to the basic rent and charge it as one rate, or would husing benefit need a breakdown etc?


Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Michelle

In terms of the subletting, it’s a good idea for the subtenant that there is an agreement so they have proof that they have the right to be there. You can google and find a very basic one online or you can just set the terms out in writing somewhere – the agreement would need to be with you. If the agreement is with your dad then the other person is a tenant rather than a subtenant. I think the decision about whether to sublet to someone on benefits is a personal one.

I would imagine you could just add it to the basic rent charge but perhaps ask the person in question to find out what is required from the benefits people just to be sure.


Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply