Take legal actions on landlord during continuation of tenancy for deposit protection | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenant rights 

start a new discussion

Take legal actions on landlord during continuation of tenancy for deposit protection

1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
832 views 1 replies latest reply: 03 October 2014


I am renting a flat under Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. I am not sure my deposit is protected by the landlord. I asked my agent for the same but got no response. I read here in another post that I can take the landlord to the court. I would like to know whether it is possible to file a case in the court while my tenancy has not ended yet?


Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


If your landlord has not protected your deposit, s/he is breaking the law. It must be put into a government backed Deposit Protection Scheme within 30 days of receiving it, and you must be given the prescribed information regarding the scheme.
You can ask a county court to order the landlord to place your deposit in a government-backed scheme after certain steps have been taken by you to get your landlord to protect your deposit.

The court can order the person holding the money to repay it to you or pay it into a custodial scheme within 14 days. If you decide to claim compensation for late compliance, you should seek legal advice in order to follow correct procedures become aware of the risks. Successful cases can result in the landlord being ordered to pay you up to three times the amount of your deposit.

For more information regarding what steps you should take and where to go for legal advice, see our article on TDP schemes:


All the best.

Disclaimer: This information is derived from personal experience and should not be relied upon as a definitive or accurate interpretation of the law.

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply