Threat of Legal Action | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Complaints and disputes 

start a new discussion

Threat of Legal Action

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
549 views 1 replies latest reply: 30 March 2016

I have recently moved out of a house that I have been privately renting for over 6 years. However the landlord has requested that I sign over the entire deposit and provide an additional contribution towards the ‘damage’ caused during our tenancy, with the threat of legal action too.

The landlord has asked for a contribution towards the costs of the ‘damage’ in final settlement.

If I do pay an additional contribution (that I can’t afford!) how do I ensure that there is no subsequent legal action? Is the use of ‘full and final settlement’ wording sufficient?

I dispute that I am responsible for all of the ‘damage’ claimed by the landlord. How do I ensure that I am not deemed to be accepting liability for all the ‘damage’. Is there some suitable wording that I should use?

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


There should be something in your tenancy agreement that states something like ‘normal wear and tear on the property’ is to be expected and the tenant is not liable to pay for this. If the landlord is expecting you to pay for this then he is being unreasonable. It’s not defined what’s the difference between ‘normal wear and tear’ and ‘damage’ however if HE is the one saying it’s damage then HE should be the one to justify this. Saying you must pay an additional amount as well as surrendering the deposit is pretty extreme. I’d write him a letter and ask him to justify these requests. If he can’t then I don’t think you have anything to worry about. He can’t get a court to force you to pay him if he hasn’t first made his case to you as to why you should. Ask him for photos of this ‘damage’ that he is concerned about and see what he does!

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply