TV licence | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Tenant responsibilities 

start a new discussion

TV licence

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
235 views 2 replies latest reply: 07 September 2017

I am sharing a student house with 6 others. The house has a tv and I want to buy a tv licence but the others do not want to. They say they will not watch the tv. Can I disable the tv so that it is not liable for a licence (and what do I need to do to disable it?). Or can I ask the landlord to buy the tv licence and take everybody’s share from their deposit? I am unable and unwilling to pay for the whole licence myself but do not want to expose myself to the risk of a fine or prosecution.

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


If its a shared tenancy and the landlord is recieving from each tenant then I would have thought he could take reponsibility for it within the boudaries of the rent.  If each room has its own tv and each one is rented independantly then its the responsibility of each person to buy a tv licence unless the tv is in a comunal room.  As students is your home address your parents home ouside of term time.  if so you are covered for a licence through theirs but the receiver must be a battery operated one with no outside connection to an aeral see below

A halls communal licence won’t cover your room. But you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:

  • Your out-of-term address (parents’ address) is covered by a TV Licence
  • AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
  • AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains


If no one is going to watch it then yes you can just disable the tv by taking the TV aerial out. I have a smart tv in my room that I watch Netflix etc on but it’s only connected to the internet. I still get post through that says I must buy a tv licence but legally I do not have to also these people never actually come round when they say they will anyway…

However, if your housemates are plannig on watching tv on their computers (BBC iPlayer etc) then legally they will need a tv licence for this. 

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply