unfair treatment | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Deposits 

start a new discussion

unfair treatment

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
156 views 1 replies latest reply: 17 July 2017

We have just vacated a property and are in dispute with the landlord over the return of our bond. He is claiming all of it £575 for redecorating and non working lightbulbs. We are arguing that because of a past dispute we are being treated unequitably. We can make a robust case for this. However an additional point is that having started to look into the issue we have discovered that we did not have a gas safety certificate at any point in our 18 month tenancy, we did not know this should have been in place. What if anything can we do about this and does it add anything to our case against the landlord. 

Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


The gas safety certificate is another issue, not relevant to your deposit. However, if you want to stick it to the man, notify the council and provide obvious proof of lacking gas safety certificate. They might fine the landlord, or not. 

As for the deposit, you can just use the deposit protection scheme, where your deposit should be protected. Use our new tool – Tenancy Deposit Checker, to search for your deposit if you don’t know where it is being held. 

If it is not protected, you can follow the guidance on the tool and contact our partner solicitor to seek compensation from the landlord. 

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply