Unsafe | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Deposits 

start a new discussion


1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
262 views 1 replies latest reply: 21 November 2016

I have a question regarding a situation where after the first month of a 6 month agreement I find myself at risk from not another tenant but their partner (male) coming into the house and bring generally drunk and threatening. I haven’t mentioned it to.the landlord yet but in a situation where nothing is done about it, if I were to move out would I be entitled to my deposit back? Or would violating the contract mean id not have grounds to ask for it back?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.


So in two words, there is a person who is persistently bothering you and threatening you at your home. This is anti-social behaviour, and the landlord has the right to evict them, even in their fixed term if this gets out of control. 

In this case, it would mean evicting your roommate and her partner as part of the package. 

However, if this doesn’t happen, you’re not entitled to just walk out of the property. Unfortunately, your contract is still valid and binding, even though the circumstances might be legitimate. 

Walking out 5 months before the end of your contact can mean you losing more than just your deposit. You might be held liable for rent until a new tenant is found. 

However, if your landlord allows you to leave, you might be eligible to still get ALL of your deposit back if there is no outstanding rent and no damage to the property. 

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply