Utilities Bills | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Topics / Deposits 

start a new discussion

Utilities Bills

1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
517 views 1 replies latest reply: 20 April 2016


I moved into a 2 bedroom property at the end of october 2015 with 1 flatmate. On the list of fees we were to pay alongisde adminstration, credit, references, guarantor etc was a £500 bill per annum which contributed towards UTILITIES for the whole flat. It was a 5 bedroom tall flat, the house WAS in a better condition from the outside so it is safe to say the heavy utilities bill was used by the landlord to clean porch, employ cleaners to hoover the staircare and what not. I am not disputing that the £500 towards ‘ BLOCK UTLITIES ‘ was not spent on such utilities. What I am disputing is that mutually (between the tenant and the landlord) we left the property through the contractual breakclause on April 15th 2016 therefore we were only beneficiaries of the £500 BLOCK UTLITIES per annum for 6 months of the time. 

In simple terms we paid £500 for block utilities and will only have been beneficiaries for 6 months.

1) Do I have a right for a refund of this money? 

2) If Yes, On what grounds should I apply pressure against the landlord? 

3) I have the means and neccessary effort to go to court so this is 100% an option. Even if it’s ‘just’ £250, principle is principle. 


Get up to £120 in discounts !

Save 10% on 25+ services for your home and garden when you book with Fantastic Services !

Book now and use promo code FTTV10* to receive 10% OFF the price of 25+ services for your home and garden !

Get 10% OFF the price of your service with our promocode:

  • 10% OFF End of tenancy cleaning
  • 10% OFF Removals
  • 10% OFF Handyman services
  • 10% OFF Garden Maintenance
  • 10% OFF Carpet cleaning
  • 10% OFF 25+ more services for your home and garden

*Use code: FTTV10 to get 10% OFF all services (Excluding Locksmith Services).

Minimum charges and T&C apply! Can not be combined with other offers and discounts. No expiry date.


Hi Dave

Without seeing the whole contract I cant state categorically, however based on the information you have provided in this email, yes, you are entitled to a refund equivalent to the unused term of your tenancy- i.e. 6 months or 50%.

I would simply write to your Landlord, citing the relevant clause(s), and requesting the refund of the relevant amount to your account within 28 days otherwise you will commence legal proceedings. This should be done in writing and either sent recorded/registered mail to the Landlord’s address stated on the Tenancy Agreement or, if sent by email, you should obtain a ‘read receipt’ or soem form of reply confirming receipt.

If the money is not returned by your set deadline, I would then first take legal advice on the matter before proceeding any further. Filing is CCJ is both more expensive and more time-consuming than many people realise. There is plenty of legal advice available through the Council, Citizens Advice Bureau, Shelter and more.

Good Luck

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 Comments
start a new discussion

Post a reply