Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Q: How do I take my landlord to court when a solicitor might cost more than the deposit?

top rated
13 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this article useful.
last updated: 25 Sep 2013 report a problem

Small claims such as tenancy deposits do not require solicitors but they do require you to represent yourself in court and pay the small court fee.

TTV suggests you wait for 30 days after sending your ‘letter before action’ (see above). If your landlord is still not protecting your deposit, or if they are protecting your deposit late, you can apply to the court to order your landlord to protect your deposit and/or pay you compensation.

You should apply to the court using Form 208a which you can get online and which comes with guidance notes from the court service; click this link Form 208A.