Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Q: I have problem with mould and the council won't do anything. What can I do?

1 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this article useful.
last updated: 25 Sep 2013 report a problem

There is piece of legislation called the Decent Homes Standard which all council’s are supposed to adhere to. This ensures any home they rent to a tenant is of a certain decent standard. If the council fails to respond to a variety of minimum care requirements they are failing in their duty to you as the tenant. Mould counts as one of these and they should see it is eradicated. If they have not been responding to your calls for action then you should first complain using their standard complaints procedure. It could be they are swamped with call-outs, but any lengthy delay is not right so you should lodge a complaint.