Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Q: What can I do if my landlord is refusing to cooperate with the scheme?

2 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this article useful.
last updated: 25 Sep 2013 report a problem

You can take your landlord (or letting agent) to court. However, TTV advises you be sure you have followed the two steps outlined in the previous two answers before you consider this extreme option which can be costly.

Also, bear in mind that a landlord can very easily evict you, with two months’ notice, and they may choose to do so after the court case.

If you do want to take the matter to court, make sure you have all the paperwork:-

  • your tenancy agreement and evidence of rent paid
  • evidence of the payment of your tenancy deposit
  • copies of any letters to and from your landlord
  • evidence that the deposit has not been protected by your landlord.
  • your inventory and anything else that may be relevant.

Before taking court action you will need to send your landlord a warning letter. This is called a ‘letter before action’ and you can get a sample here. [needs hyperlinked to ‘letter threatening court action while still a tenant’]