Free replacement boiler for low income households | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

Free replacement boiler for low income households

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
last updated: 26 May 2016 report a problem

free replacement boiler for low income households

Did you know that if the boiler in your rented home is over 10 years old and you are on a low income you could get it replaced for free? Yes free!

If you don’t already know, landlords are responsible for the safety of their tenants and if they rent a property with gas appliances they are required by law to ensure all appliances are maintained and that an annual gas safety check is provided to the tenant. You must give your landlord and the gas safety engineer access to the property to get this carried out

As part of the Government’s Energy Company Obligation (ECO), if you receive a qualifying benefit and your boiler is 10+ years old, UK energy companies are obliged to pay for a free replacement boiler to be installed in your home. You could save up to £1500 in energy bills each year by improving your energy efficiency so check out the following websites to see if you qualify.

Boiler Grants

Free Boilers UK

There are over a two million households across the UK who could be eligible for a FREE replacement boiler courtesy of the government and one of them could be you.

If your boiler is broken AND you are receiving State Pension Credit or Child Tax credit (with an income of less than £15,860) then you will automatically qualify for a replacement boiler absolutely FREE, including all materials and fitting.

If you do not receive either of the above, then don’t worry because you may still be eligible if you receive one or more of the following benefits:

  • Disable Child Premium
  • Parental responsibility for a child under 16 years of age, who live at the property
  • Parental responsibility for a child under 16 years of age or over but under 20, who lives at the property and is in full-time education (not in higher education, such as at university)
  • Pension Premium (either Higher or Enhanced)
  • Child Tax Credit which includes a Disability or Severe Disability element
  • Disability Premium (either Higher or Enhanced)
  • Work Related Activity or Support Component (with Income Related Employment & Support Allowance only)
  • Disabled Worker Element or Severe Disability Element
  • Aged 60 or over

In addition to the above, to qualify you can be a home owner or a tenant in privately rented accommodation or living with relatives.

Image Source