My private rental home is flooded! What should I do? | The Tenants' Voice
Cookies must be enabled for this site to function properly

My Private Rental Home Is Flooded!

0 helpful votes
This is the number of people who have indicated that they have found this discussion useful.
last updated: 26 May 2016 report a problem

my private rental home is flooded what should i do

With wet weather buffeting the whole of the country and severe weather warnings being issued left, right and centre it’s no wonder some tenants are worried about their homes should the worst happen and their properties are flooded.

Inform your landlord immediately 

Your landlord is responsible for any repairs caused by flooding. This includes structural damage to the property and making sure that your gas, electricity and plumbing are fit for purpose and in good working order. However, your landlord can’t do anything unless you inform them there is a problem and you must give them a reasonable amount of time to get the repairs done. Make a note of all the damage caused and write to your landlord, if it is in writing you have evidence that you’ve notified them in the unlikely event they refuse to do repairs.

Be prepared to move

Damage caused by flooding can be quite severe and whilst your landlord is responsible for making your home safe and habitable they do not have to put you into alternative accommodation if you have to move out in order to get the repairs done.  If you do have to move out do not do so until:

  • You have agreed with your landlord the reason you have to leave
  • You have agreed with your landlord that you can move back in once the repairs have been done with same facilities and rent
  • You agree a date that you can move back into the property

Rent Payments

You should not have to pay rent for a property you are not living in so make sure you discuss this with your landlord and come to an agreement before temporarily you move out. You can ask them to suspend your rent payments until you move back in or ask for a reasonable contribution to the cost of your alternative living arrangements. If you receive housing benefit it is crucial you let your local authority know of your situation as you can only get benefit for the property you are living in. If you are unable to arrange alternative accommodation speak to your local council’s Housing Services as they may be able to help you.

Image Source