Home / Help & Advice / Rights and responsibilities / Negotiating anti-social behaviour with your landlord

Negotiating anti-social behaviour with your landlord

In this article:1 What is anti-social behaviour1.1 Examples of anti-social behaviour2 Consequences of behaving anti-socially3 Negotiating for anti-social behaviour4 Where to go for help Back to top What is anti-social behaviour Metropolitan police defines anti-social behaviour as “Behaviour by a person which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or […]

negotiating anti social behaviour with your landlord

Back to top

What is anti-social behaviour

Metropolitan police defines anti-social behaviour as “Behaviour by a person which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as the person.”

In general, anti-social behaviour can be considered any action that harms, harrasses, disturbs or nuisanses other people in your community.

It’s unacceptable to disturb public peace, damage other’s property or harass people in your community.

Examples of anti-social behaviour

  • Excessive noise in quiet hours of the day
  • Rowdy behaviour – shouting, swearing, fighting
  • Making threats or intimidating other people
  • Painting graffitti
  • Disturbing neighbours at their home
  • Damaging or vandalising other people’s property or vehicles
  • Damaging or vandalising the interior of the property (on purpose)
  • Having parties without the proper notification and the agreement of the neighbours
  • Letting large groups of people in and out of your rented property and the building it resides in
  • Drinking or drug use, leading to people being rowdy and causing trouble
  • Large groups hanging about in the street and causing trouble
  • Excessive littering
  • Failure to control noisy or aggressive pets
  • Engaging in illegal activities in and around your rented property
Back to top

Consequences of behaving anti-socially

The consequences for anti-social behaviour can vary depending on the severity of your actions.

Regardless of your intentions, anti-social behaviour is unacceptable and your landlord is likely to take actions to evict you.

Your landlord is going to serve you with a section 21 notice immediately. This starts the procedure for your eviction. Depending on the severity of your actions, the court can also grant them a quick possession order, which will enable them to evict you out of the property on short notice.

Additionally, if you paid a tenancy deposit at the start, it will be used to cover any damage and restoration to the property.

Finally, if the deposit is not enough, for example, if a party went out of control wrecks the whole property, the landlord can begin court proceedings to make you liable for the restoration of the property and the legal costs your landlord paid initially.

Anti-social behaviour can escalate into a criminal offense, which can result in the police issuing you with a fine or even detaining you for more severe punishment.

Back to top

Negotiating for anti-social behaviour

Your landlord can serve an eviction notice if you, someone living with you or visiting you, has been involved in antisocial behaviour and/or caused noise nuisance.

TTV suggests you contact your landlord and arrange a meeting to discuss the matter in a calm and respectful manner. The first step is to admit that your behaviour has been unacceptable and then outline what you will do to prevent it from continuing.

If you show willingness to go to mediation to resolve the matter your landlord may be more prepared to give you another chance.

You should do everything you can do to make sure the anti-social behaviour stops. You will want to show your landlord, and if your case goes to court, the judge, that the problems have stopped.

If it’s was a single accident apologise and make sure they know it’s not going to happen again.

If it was caused by someone visiting, like a friend or family, let your landlord know and ensure them this has been the last time they cause trouble at this property.

If there is material damage, you absolutely must cover the full repairs and renovation of the property. As a goodwill gesture, consider improving the interior or decor of the property with minor investments.

If any of your neighbours have been disturbed by your actions, go and apologise and negotiate with them how you can make it up to them.

To prove the situation has changed, you must behave like model tenant in the six months following the dispute.

Back to top

Where to go for help

If you are at risk of being homeless you can ask your local council for help.

For free advice contact Shelter: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/about_eviction/preventing_eviction

Image Source


This article is provided as a guide. Any information should be used for research purposes and not as the base for taking legal action. The Tenants' Voice does not provide legal advice and our content does not constitute a client-solicitor relationship.

We advise all tenants to act respectfully with their landlords and letting agents and seek a peaceful resolution to problems with their rented property. For more information, explore the articles in our All advice category.

The Tenants' Voice works in conjunction with Deposit Recovery Claims to assist tenants.

For more ways to reach us, please visit our contacts page.