Here is what we, the tenant,s have achieved together in 2016:
1. Abolition of letting agent fees for tenants announced and will now undergo consultation to be embedded as law (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38065249)
2. London Living Rent where a 2 bedroom London flat will cost below £1,000 in rent announced – (http://tinyurl.com/z9psvvt)
3. Ban on rogue landlords protecting millions of tenants is being planned (http://tinyurl.com/zyfq6pc)
4. AirBnB announces to block hosts in London from renting out homes for more than 90 days a year without official consent. Landlords can no longer use their homes as ‘backdoor hotels’ reducing supply of homes available for rent. (http://tinyurl.com/zudj7jt)
5. Buy to Let tax changes making Buy to Let investments less attractive which means more properties available for First Time Buyers instead of Buy to Let investors – homes are for living not for trading. (http://tinyurl.com/gn4nvgm)
6. Laws to protect tenants from revenge evictions so that tenants are not evicted just because they asked for repairs. (http://tinyurl.com/hrxtftz)
7. New regulation on carbon monoxide and smoke alarms in rented properties and £5,000 fine on landlords who violate this regulation. (http://tinyurl.com/hd2ptc5)
8. Thousands of tenants have now rated their rental property and landlord on Asktenants.co.uk – making it difficult for rogue landlords with a bad review to rent or sell their property and at the same time rewarding good landlords with a positive reviews. We are creating the right kind of competitive pressure.
We still have lot to do – build more affordable homes, ensure above announcements become laws as soon as possible, taxes on empty homes, limits on foreign buyers, rent regulations/caps, modular housing, millions of landlords/properties to rate and lot more.
We promise to keep you updated in 2017 with all the news. Please give us a thumbs up by reviewing your former/current rental property and landlord on Asktenants.co.uk – your reviews will keep us going in 2017.
A word from us:
At The Tenants’ Voice, we worked tremendously hard to keep you informed 24/7 and help you achieve a better treatment by the industry. Our community is now three times bigger- we got more than a thousand questions on the forum and our email; and more than half a million visitors to our website.
Thank you for being a part of us and stick with us for 2017 ! We promise to be even better this year !